Thursday, December 8, 2011

Sun-Times Media spills more blood

Tally hits 16

This will be a short post.

Crain's reported earlier this week that Sun-Times Media had laid off three more employees in Chicago. I learned that same day another employee had been let go in Tinley Park.

Today, the Aurora office was hit, another friend who had been a loyal, hardworking employee for years was let go. I have no idea yet if there were others.

Update: I just learned there were two people let go in Aurora today, My sympathies to both of you. 

Update 2, 4:53 p.m.: The swathe grows. I just got word at least one sports reporter and four designers were among the casualties, bringing to six the number of people let go this afternoon. All are editorial employees.

Update, 9:49 p.m.: I have not been able to confirm the comment added to this post that four people, including two copy editors, were let go in Joliet. If I can verify this, I will post another update.

Update, 12:16 a.m. Dec. 9: I have it from a reliable source that the bottom line was five people, not six who were cut in Aurora on Thursday. I spent a chunk of my afternoon and later this evening trying to track down the sixth name to no avail. I finally ran into a source who had the information. Five people's lives were shattered in Aurora on Thursday, not six. Nonetheless, people were hurt.

Update, 9:47 p.m. Dec. 9: It seems that in all, Sun-Times Media this week laid off at least 16 staffers, including:
  • Chicago Sun-Times: three (reported Monday by Crain's), and a photographer was cut in Tinley Park;
  • Aurora: five people a copy editor, a sports writer, three  designers;
  • Joliet: two copy editors, two advertising;
  • Less specific: There were sports positions cut in Waukegan, Pioneer Press and one in Tinley Park. I am still trying to pin down numbers on these, but it would be at least three people.

Sadly, I think if there were to be a reunion of all the former Courier-News people who have been laid off in the past five years or so, they would outnumber those who remain.

My deepest sympathy goes out to you my friend, the most recent casualty of Sun-Times Media. I wish you had been spared, and I pity those who are left. Contact me by email if you want to talk as I am not certain I have your correct phone number (although I have been trying to call it).

3 comments:

  1. Four people were let go from the Herald News -two from advertising and two copy editors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herald News: Betsy Lucsay, Advertising clerk. Sandy Miller: Circulation Clerk; Amanda Dresbach: Copy editor on short-term disability and Jason Paha, copy editor. The two in advertising were fired at about 10 a.m. Thursday and the copy editors were let go at approximately 3 p.m. Thursday. Four years ago, there were 41 newsroom employees. Now there are 11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one more in aurora on Monday.

    ReplyDelete