Tuesday, December 14, 2010

First stunned, then pain and grief

When I walked into the Aurora office of Sun-Times Media-West about 4 p.m. on Dec. 2, I was smiling and ready for a good night's work. But as I approached my desk, my supervisor called to me, "Ted, we've got a meeting."

At first, as she walked away, she appeared to be moving toward an office along the building's south wall, where she had sometimes met to talk with members of the Web staff. But when she veered toward her left, my stomach lurched. Now she was leading me in the general direction of the Human Resources office, and in light of all the layoffs this company has made since October, I knew this could be bad.

I prayed for God's protection and strength, and I prayed He would give me grace, even as I felt myself going numb. "Judy," I whispered, "am I being laid off?"

Her answer, along the lines of "We've got a meeting," clearly answered the question.


I had feared something like this since October, when the latest round of layoffs began. It seemed like each week we lost several more people as cuts were made, apparently department by department. Most I learned of after the fact: I generally came in around 4 in the afternoon, usually after these people    journalism professionals I had come to know, respect and love    were gone and their desks vacated. On those days, I was sometimes greeted by, "Did you hear ... was laid off today?"

But today was going to be my turn to pack and leave. My stomach ached suddenly as I sat down with Judy and the HR rep.

I hardly heard a word my supervisor, who seemed intent on not letting her eyes meet mine, read a perfunctory statement about the company striving to be more efficient and thanking me for my years of service. She then faded into silence and left as the HR rep went over the information she had for me; I listened, numb to the core:

>> I would soon receive in the mail a form allowing me to apply for COBRA which, given the company's decision in recent years to first cut back and then to lop off all severance, essentially meant we would not be able to afford the federal program that was supposed to fill the health insurance gap between jobs.

>> I would be paid for unused (none) and accrued (uncertain) vacation time.

>> The company would not contest my unemployment claim.

>> Then I was told I must to turn in my key card and employee ID before the HR rep asked me to leave the building. I could make an appointment to return to pack up my desk or someone would pack it for me and ship it to me.

This was the only point at which I became irritated. I informed her that, given I was now without a job and living 24 miles away and had no new income coming to cover the cost of such a commute, I would not be returning. Nor did I want my already overworked co-workers having to also pack up my desk. "Do you have a box I can use?" I asked her. She found one.

I returned to my desk -- my other fellow Web editors apparently had just left the area so I could pack without creating any kind of distraction, I suppose. Still, there were others with whom I had worked for some time seated in the desks around me. As I packed, I called my wife.

"I've been laid off," I told her. Next to me, I heard a co-worker mutter, "Oh my God." He passed the word around to some of my closest friends as I continued to push things into one box, then into a second. His hand gripped my shoulder and he nodded a few words of encouragement and sympathy.

Then began the saddest part of the day: Saying goodbye to folks, some of whom I had worked with for my entire 16 years with this company, despite untold layoffs, cutbacks and two changes of ownership. They came with open arms, sometimes teary eyes, to hug me goodbye and express their regret that I had been chosen. I suppose some also thanked their lucky stars that they'd escaped this sweep of the scythe.

First came Char Gillette, then Nick Petersen and then Char's husband, Joe. More came and left. I shot over to the editorial director's corner office to express my sincere thanks to him, and as I headed back to what now was my former desk to gather my boxes and leave, members of the Web staff with whom I had worked the past three years returned to bid their farewells.

Then Nick Petersen grabbed one box for me and we headed out the door and down the steps toward the parking lot. As I pushed first one and then the second box into the trunk, I saw Nick Reiher come out a door on the far side of the building. His head turned swiftly from side to side as he scanned the parking lot. When his eyes locked on me, he moved quickly. I could tell he was cold    he had come out of the building without a coat, wearing just a short-sleeve shirt. Despite my numbness, even I was feeling the chill as the wind cut through us, and I was wearing a winter coat.

Few words were necessary as he joined Nick Petersen and I. The blood shed by this company over the years had run deep and hurt many people. Mine now flowed with theirs.

We hugged goodbye.

As I drove the 24 miles back to Elgin, I used my cell phone to call several folks    my Dad, my best friend, my pastor, the whole time trying to stop my eyes from welling up as I kept pace with the rush-hour traffic.

Then the grieving really began    my first-ever loss of a job, let alone a job I had enjoyed and loved; the loss of a place where I could come daily to work with people I'd known and respected and, even more importantly, had come to think of as almost another family.

And my grief turned to dismay as I realized more and more fully how this layoff, this loss of income, would affect my wife and children. I sobbed once, wiping back tears so I would not have to pull over.

Part of me wanted to weep, but that would have to wait.

Part of me felt betrayed by a company for which I had shown the utmost loyalty, often working long hours, frequently without additional compensation, for so many years. Worse, this was a job for which I willingly made sacrifices    that my family had sacrificed time with me for    because of my apparently mistaken notion that hard work and loyalty would in some way count toward job security.

And yet, amid the waves of grief, I did not feel any anger over this betrayal. Hurt, yes, but no anger.

Newspaper readership has been dropping since World War II, a decline that hastened with the advent of the Internet and Web sites like Craigslist, which lured away the precious classified advertising that for so long had been the backbone of newspaper revenues. Newspapers generally were shortsighted about this new technology and were likewise slow to react in learning how to make it work for them.

Throw into the mix the 2001 recession and the more recent one that The Associated Press has dubbed "The Great Recession," and it becomes easy to understand why many newspapers have folded or are closing. And amid those trends, I made a move three years ago to my first career change    from print editor to a Web editor.

Now I face another transition. God willing, I will find greater joy for my family and wisdom for myself as this latest change occurs ...

13 comments:

  1. Ted, my friend and fellow journalist, you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ted, my wife called your blog post to my attention. Here is a blog post she wrote when I left the newspaper business. It might resonate with you: http://bit.ly/cFKNfk

    I have been fired (not laid off) and I have been the editor who had to deliver the news of layoffs to 14 co-workers. I can feel the pain of your loss in many ways. I describe my career as a series of great opportunities, some of them disguised as bitter disappointments. I hope your next opportunity presents itself soon. I have blogged about redirecting my career and about finding a job in digital journalism. I hope something in one of these posts is helpful to you: http://bit.ly/cdEJ9Q and http://bit.ly/c0x5eN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ted,

    I respect you, I support you, I wish you the best in this endeavor, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ted, we haven't met but apparently we're sharing the same fate; my layoff from the newspaper industry (not a paper, but an industry organization) came in April. I saw it coming and had gone back to school, but I'm now in job-hunting mode just like you, hoping there's someone who'll hire a newly minted urban planner, age 54. I empathize completely.

    Here's what the little bit of perspective I've gained since April has allowed me to realize: It's not you. The leadership of our industry, for the hundreds of reasons well documented across the Internet, is far from blameless in this. It was their responsibility to keep their collective eye on the far horizon and prepare their industry for a vastly disrupted future, and they didn't do it. Layoffs are the fallout from that. You need not resist entirely the temptation to a little anger.

    However, while I'm not confident about the future of newspapers, I am entirely confident about the future of journalism. There is an enormous amount of journalism-related activity out there, and I hope there's a place for you somewhere within it soon. Steve Buttry's got some great advice for you in the two posts he's linked to. And when all of this settles and you're employed again, you'll realize that you haven't left the newspaper industry, you've left it behind.

    Best of luck to you, and keep us all posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ted,

    From that afternoon when you called me about the layoff, to reading this post, my heart has ached with you. And yet, I know that God can and will see you, no, all of us through this. "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity" (Proverbs 17:17). Please know that you are not along as you go through this time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ted, thank you for all your years of great writing, I will miss your insights and look forward to seeing more. Thank you for sharing your story via Blog, my thoughts and prayers are with you and the family. Lay-offs are not easy, but it's something to bing you closer to family and God as you search out the new directions to be taken. perhaps you are meant to snatch up one of the Web Editorial jobs for the new Patch.com in the Chicago area? Would love to have you covering the fox valley and bring in other writers. ;)

    https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/asp/tg/cim_jobdetail.asp?SID=^0mE6oOL2ge3xiP2xT7MDURM9v1WFKWW/OH14nZx6k_slp_rhc_Mt4Cmc8ZV05hLmo7ZmZU/Y&jobId=570125&type=search&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=1&JobSiteId=5438&JobSiteInfo=570125_5438&GQId=0

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I was so blessed when I checked my gmail account and then my first blog to see the response, which for me is quite overwhelming. Thank you all so much for your kind words and encouragement. I hope that my future posts are as well-received and relevant to those who choose to follow me as I continue to grow this journal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "This much, Ted." She says with arms wide open. I'm keeping you in my prayers while cursing you under my breath when I think of bad puns during budget meetings. I miss you and your Fort Rawlins stories. SHOT! Hang in there, pal. Just don't start moping around the house all day in your frilly pink housecoat and fuzzy slippers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ted,
    I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to you during what should be a joyful time of the year. Much like the loss of a loved one, you may cycle through the stages of grief over this. I know I did when the Rocky Mountain News closed and I lost my job. I've been unemployed nearly two years and Ken's job hangs by a thread.

    But I can tell you that after the numbness, the grief, the despair, the overwhelming feeling of being lost, God has a plan for you. He had a plan for me. Our children desperately needed me in those months after I lost my job and I feel fortunate to have been able to be there for them. And, today I'm just a few months away from receiving my master's degree and teaching credentials.

    Don't underestimate the gifts you have, Ted. There are so many doors that will open up for you!

    You and the family are in our prayers.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ted:
    My thoughts and prayers are with you, my friend. I can only guess how hard it must be to not only lose a job, but in a career to which you're dedicated and still love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ted: I was sorry to hear the news. I appreciate all the help you offered this green reporter at her first full-time job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been following you on Twitter for a while. I'm certain you'll get back on your feet. The writing in your first blog post it too good. Someone has to pick you up from there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Ted. I was reading your latest blog post when I was led to this one. So heartbreaking. Sixteen years. Unconscionable that there was no severance or health insurance affordability for you.
    I do believe you were smart for going into web journalism. Understanding basic coding and the importance of posting content fast can help.
    I too find it sad that hard work and loyalty aren't rewarded anymore. Furthermore, it almost seems like corporate types outright resent people like you and I for bemoaning this fact. They tend to lash out and respond that we practically deserve our layoffs for being so naive.

    ReplyDelete